Re: [RFI] HF Mobile Installation in 2001 Mazda

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] HF Mobile Installation in 2001 Mazda
From: David Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:09:08 -0500
Thanks for the fast response Tom.  I always appreciate a thread where
you're engaged in the conversation.  I've spoken to Ford and Chrysler
EMI engineers and they all believe this myth, as you say!

I've done some pretty extensive noise reduction on my Ford. Shielded the spark wires, the igniter and re-ran the low voltage fed to the igniter controller. The thing is very quiet now. With a homebrew sniffer it really did sound like the low voltage leds to the igniter controller were radiating spark pulses. After re-routing the 12vdc I don't hear the spark noise but instead the pulses from the three ABS brake sensors located on the rear transaxle.

Now, ABS noise aside, the AM radio reception is outstanding where before only the strongest stations were good copy. In fact down at the low end of the AM broadcast band I can now monitor the parking lot LP AM station at National Airport from almost 10 miles away. I used to have to be within one mile to hear it.

SO, there are things that can be done to remove the RFI.

Just running ground strap from the altenator to that awful negative battery lead removed all the whine (what there was of it) from the 2m radio. I also ran a strap from the battery negative to the frame rail.
Did that because I wanted to run a ground from the fuel pump CROCOM brute force filter case to the frame rail. The same frame rail is used to connect the ground from the antenna. That frame rail is really the vehicle's ground buss, haha.

73,
dave
wa3gin

p.s. When it warms up I'll go after those nasty ABS sensors, haha.

Tom Rauch wrote:

I agree with Jim...and in Fords that have a variable high

voltage

ignition system that radiates and couples to existing

factory installed

loops of single threaded 12+vdc lines, you got one massive

RFI problem

running another single 12vdc line from the ham radio to

the battery.