Re: [CQ-Contest] Dead horse #99

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dead horse #99
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 12:53:59 +0000
When it comes to the question of the appropriateness of editing a log based on
notes taken during a contest, I offer this thought (with the obvious caveat
that I am not a contest organizer):

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that I played in a contest logging all
contacts on paper.  Most (all?) contests these days require log submissions in
electronic form.

I think it's still kosher to transfer your paper log to a computer after the
contest for submission.  I'm not aware of a contest requiring computer logging
during the contest itself (aside from the special case of WRTC).

If that is the case, then, by extension, it's kosher to update your log after a
contest based on notes made during the contest.  The notes made during the
contest are essentially a paper log supplementing you electronic log. Paper
logs must be made electronic for submission.  QED.

Admittedly this has the difficulty of being impossible to differentiate from
clearly inappropriate post-contest log-cleaning...but many things in our odd
little sport do require operating on the honor system, and contest organizers
do tend to be criticized for rule changes that inconvenience operators because
of suspected and known failures in the honor system.....

--

Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org<mailto:mda@n1en.org>