[CQ-Contest] Dead horse #99

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Dead horse #99
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:20:21 -0500
I saw somewhere a discussion about how to rescore a log when fixing a typo
error that was noticed AFTER the contest.

I have always felt that errors you noted DURING the contest (computer notes
in the log, or paper notes on the side, or, to be most lenient, even mental
notes) may be fixed after the contest; the notes are part of your record.
Otherwise, a typing error is no different from any other copying error.  We
are supposed to transcribe the incoming data (the audio, in my case -- CW
and SSB only) into the accepted form of READABLE information.  If the other
op sent a "2", and my log has a "3", it does not matter whether I heard it
wrong or I typed it wrong -- it's incorrect.

When I finish a contest, I generate the Cabrillo log and send it in.
Later, I look at the LCR/UBN to see what mistakes I made.  (I'm still
trying to figure out how I lost one SS Nebraska QSO by logging KV01 instead
of KV0I)

(A free story:  In one SS CW several years ago, I lost a QSO -- and maybe a
mult -- because I logged NR 61 instead of 149 (or something like that).
Weird.  I remembered asking him several times for a repeat: "NR?  NR?"
About three years later, looking at some other SS data, I saw that the
guy's CHECK was 61.  He kept sending me his CK instead of his NR, and I
logged what he sent.)

So, is there a real consensus, or real advice from a Sponsor, or a real
rule that says it's OK to correct "obvious" typographical errors AFTER the
contest?

73, Art K3KU
(Who always has to review his typing for errors before clicking SEND)