Re: [CQ-Contest] Call sign choice

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Call sign choice
From: Ron Notarius W3WN via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 22:03:39 +0000 (UTC)
Well... I'd vote for V3X.
Reasons:
(1)  Unusual or unexpected calls, including very short 1x1 calls, that you
don't normally come across are often used in the major contests (for example,
think EE5E circa 2007 - 2012, or the KG44 prefixed calls circa 2006; to say
nothing of the OT#$ calls you'll hear from Belgium during a contest) and won't
strike most ops as THAT strange, if they haven't heard about them in advance.
Most know to WFWL.  I don't believe that most Sprint ops are used to or
expecting the unusual calls - in the Sprint, that is.
(1a) And as we've seen in the recent past, once unusual prefixes or short calls
can sometimes become everyday calls, as well (such as all the 2x1 assignments
in Spain, and similar assignments that are reported to be coming soon from
Australia).
(1b) Also, the more that these unusual calls are used, the more 'common' they
become.  Goes from "what was that call again?" to "oh, alternate prefix!"
(2)  V3 (as opposed to V3#) has been used in the past by Amateurs in Belize.
My log shows V3DX from 1982, and V3CAG from 1985.  So their is precedence for
the V3 prefix by itself.
Good luck, hope to work you on multiple bands!
73, ron w3wn