Re: [CQ-Contest] Call sign choice

To: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Call sign choice
From: Chris Plumblee <chris.plumblee@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 17:26:30 -0400
My sense is that some VE3s elide the second syllable of their prefix
because the vowel sounds of "Vee" and "Ee" are so similar. I've heard the
same phenomenon from K8's, though mostly off the air.

It seems to go like this: "Kate X-ray X-ray" = K8XX

Similarly, "V 3 X-ray X-ray" = VE3XX

If you had a lot of trouble in the SSB sprint, you might give serious
consideration to using the longer call on phone. I don't expect you to have
a similar problem on CW, not least because you'll have ~ a month of being
on the air to increase familiarity. You can also (if you haven't done so)
make sure both calls show up in the SCP, as Rich alluded to earlier.

73,
Chris W4WF

--
Chris Plumblee