[3830] SS SSB NN4RB SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, NN4RB@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB NN4RB SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:36:52 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: NN4RB
Operator(s): NN4RB
Station: NN4RB

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: FM07ii
Operating Time (hrs): 13:49

  160:    0
   10:    2

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It can get real noisy here at the house, and my radio room is not immune to the
patter of big feet running.  So, I was considering operating this contest in the
barn using my IC-7100 Go-Kit.  Kay told me that would be a good idea and
encouraged me.  I knew things were not optimized for contesting, but that has
not stopped me before.  Saturday, before the contest was spent getting ready and
checking a few things.  Some necessities inducing an air filter and propane
heat.  I took a nap before starting and got my first contact at 21:38Z or 38
minutes into the contest.  I did a few slow S&P contacts getting my rythum
and process down to I hope would by motor memory.  Taking my time I got the
cluster spotting working and logged into the Contest Online Scoreboard.  Jerry
was there with a few QSOs and the same number of multipliers.  And, like Jerry,
I noticed that 10 meters was lacking.  15-meters was not much better, so I
settled into 14-meters and stayed there until almost 9:00PM local, before making
a move to 40-meters and later to 80-meters.

I noticed that Jerry had the same QSO count as multipliers.  Looks like he was
trying to get 85 QSOs for sweep.  Knight (NJ4Q) was on the board for a surprise
and Dave (N4IW) was on the board and right behind me.  Called it quits a little
after mid-night.  Sunday wasn't great for 10-meters, again, but 15-meters was a
little better.

Jerry got his 85 QSOs and 85 sections and I thought he would quit, but he
started running to shove a knife into mine and David's efforts.  I was using
only my voice, because I did not have the time to work on the recordings for the
Go-Kit.  Surprising me, my voice stayed good.  David was staying close and
working those multipliers.  Jerry quit when he got 200 Q's.  It looked like he
may had thought the contest ended at 23:59, but it did not end until 0259 or
10PM Sunday night.  I stuck it out and picked up my sweep of 85.  ONN was the
last one.  They had been on often, but I could not break the pileups with my 100
watts on a 35' vertical on the metal shed.  I was smiling big time when that
happened. At sometime Ed (N3CW) came out to play and made a contribution to the
PVRC.  I heard Pete (W4WWQ) at some point, but he wasn't reporting. Late in the
contest I heared Riley (K4ORD) work someone.

I did call Jerry when he was running, but I could not break the pileup.  My low
vertical will not work the locals, but it does provide fun for the ones farther
away.  Plus, only 1 antenna makes things simple as long as I remember to tune
when I move a long away on the band or change bands.

I have done better, but I had fun and I was not disturbed by little girl noises
while playing in the barn.  BIC was almost 14 hours, but the chair was padded.

Rick Brown
NN4RB

ICOM IC-7100 Go-Kit

35' Vertical on a metal shed
ICOM AH730 Tuner at the base of the antenna