Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : New to radio Forums Help

1-2 of 2 messages

Page 1 of 1  

New to radio Reply
by Autocat13 on July 5, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I just retired and moved to Virgina. I am new to radio and want to start off on the right foot. I was involved in radio in the military at division level and really would like to have my own station. I have 3 acres, plenty of room for a tower. And no neighbors for at least a mile.How do I get Started on the right foot?

RE: New to radio Reply
by WB0DUL on July 8, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Hi Alex,

Well, we've all been new to radio at one time or another. I can only assume you have a call and are a licensed radio amateur. If not, then you need to take that step first. Or if doing what's required to become licensed isn't your bag, then maybe you will be interested in being a Short Wave Listener.

I've had my ticket for about 41 years and I hold an Advanced Class license.

A simple dipole antenna will work quite well. Get the best radio you can afford. Join a local radio club and if there isn't one, inquire of others to find a ham in your vicinity who can help you get started. Your question is a tough one since there is no set rule for getting started. When I started back in 1962 I built my first transmitter from a junk TV set. I bought the best receiver I could afford, which was a Drake 2A. My antenna was a dipole and I operated CW on 80 meters. I had a ball. Then in 1991 we moved into a senior retirement mobile home park and being an upscale park I didn't put up any antennas except for a 2 meter/70cm vertical and I was only active on VHF/UHF for about 10 years. Then I decided I wanted to get back into ham radio and I told management (I didn't ask) that I was a ham and was going to put up a vertical antenna and asked if he had any problem with that. He didn't. So I got back on the air with a vengeance. I own a Yaesu FT-920, Yaesu FT-100D, Yaesu VX-5R HT, a Radio Shack HTX-10 10 meter transceiver and an Icom 2720 mobile rig in my truck. In addition a lot of other accessories. So, as you can see, everybody's ideas of getting started "right" may differ.

I hope this points you in the right direction. BTW, are you licensed yet? If not, is that your intent? I assume you are aware it is a Federal offense to transmit in the ham bands without a license issued by the FCC.

Good luck.

Dick - WB0DUL

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Galaxy 2000+ or 2000b linear amplifiers.
Previous Topic:   Contests and Logs
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.