Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Making More Interest Forums Help

1-3 of 3 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Making More Interest Reply
by WB9SBD on October 25, 2008 Mail this to a friend!
I've from Day 1 of my Amateur carreer have loved Contesting! Since 1975.

I've been out of HF for close to 14 years, but this Fall I'm getting back into it again.

I'd like to get many new people into it, but they all see too scared of the idea.

What have you used to have people give it a try?

Joe WB9SBD

RE: Making More Interest Reply
by NQ3X on October 28, 2008 Mail this to a friend!
Get 'em in on a low-key multi-op operation. Devise a multi-two station, invite people over, use the time for teaching. Don't worry about points maximization until the guests are asking for it. ;-)

That's what worked for me, at least. When I got hooked on contesting, I had a twenty-year-old radio, a manual antenna tuner and a doublet. Even in the "little" contests like NAQP, making Qs was like slogging through four feet of snow. Stepping into the M2 shack for the first time, with all of that shiny stuff, computer control and (gasp!) a tower and beam(s), I found I could make contacts seemingly at will.

It was lots and lots of fun, and inspired me to improve my home station. I still don't have a tower and beam(s), but I have more than one wire and a much nicer equipment setup!

Bob NQ3X

RE: Making More Interest Reply
by KT8K on December 11, 2008 Mail this to a friend!
Field Day participation and a few shifts with the local university club members during sweepstakes were what got me interested in contesting. Having a home on a reasonably high spot with tall trees was the second factor that really got me into contesting, as my homebrew wire antennas work great up here.

I ran FD for both the ARROW club (www.w8pgw.org) and the Univ. of Mich. club (W8UM, http://www.umich.edu/~umarc/) most years since 1980, and have seen many hams "get the bug" from the fun they had at Field Day. Operating events that will get newcomers involved and having fun are the best way to recruit new contesters, IMHO.
73 de kt8k - Tim

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   cushcraft 40 mtr yagi
Previous Topic:   Venezuelan Independence contest
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.