[3830] SS SSB KI9A Multi-Op Limited-Ant HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, CHUCKSCHNEEBELI@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KI9A Multi-Op Limited-Ant HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:08:30 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: KI9A
Operator(s): KI9A
Station: KI9A

Class: Multi-Op HP
Class Overlay: Limited-Ant
QTH: il

  160:    0

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I've been doing Ss almost every year since 79 or 80. I have made 1200 Q's with a
G5RV, I've won the Central Division U Class in CW. I've had some fun.

This year was the best.

A couple years ago, my oldest Grandson sat in with me and made a few dozen Q's.
This year, my youngest Grandson Adam, who is 10, has been showing a ton of
interest in radio everytime he visits and I'm in the shack. He can send his
name, and Mom and Dads on a SK AND paddles. So, I decided to invite him.

We went thru the exchange. I made notes, and he made a ton of notes, including
copying calls and such on paper while I ran them. Even down to a guy using pre
recorded numbers-"W9## sounds like a robot" complete with a drawing.

He ended up making about 100 contacts, including a few CQ's while I logged.

This kid is bit and has is bad now. He already called asking about the next one.

Then, another Grandson, Jax who is 12 came over. He was reluctant, but once he
made his first Q, he could not get enough either.

Aidan, my oldest Grandson who is 18 came by and made a few. Then, a surprise
visit by one of grand daughters, Olivia who is 10. SHE made a few. Not as gung
ho as the boys, she says we are "nerds". Well. Yeah. Kinda. Duh...

We made the sweep. The boys watched the mult boxes close as we worked them.
After I worked ONN, they high fived each other. So, on order are 4 sweep mugs,
and 4 pins. They are actually pretty pumped about the mugs!

The Flex worked well. Actually worked great. Once set up, it is SO easy on the
ears its unreal.

Just used the EFHW 80/10 as an L @ 40', with a mix of 40/80 vee's at 36'. I
disconnected the tribander and 6m yagi from the ant selector and tried a couple
BOGs. They worked, but need work. The ACOM 100) purred great.

What was strange, is I had N1MM lock up randomly. NOT RF induced, as it did
while just listening. Never ever had any issues with N1MM in over 11 years.

Anyway, it was a blast.

Today and yesterday were good days.

73,

Chuck KI9A