[3830] CQWW SSB NO9E SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB NO9E SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 00:56:31 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: NO9E
Operator(s): NO9E
Station: NO9E

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 35
OpMode: SO2R

  160:    8     5        4
   80:  123    13       52
   40:  145    20       67
   20:  343    30       95
   15:  672    33      106
   10:  758    30      116
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Station: Flex 6600, PG amp, Ag 8x2 switch
JK Mid Tri @30m, JK Mid Tri @20m, Spiderbeam @12m, 2 el 3 band beam for SE @10m
4 sq for 80, loaded tower for 160, 7 beverages, Hi-Z 4-8

Poor conditions 160-80m. Excellent conditions on 10m on Saturday, not as good on
Sunday.

One extra antenna was a home-made 2 el 3 band beam that weighed 5 kg. Mast from
carbon fiber from Gigaparts and 4 carbon fiber fishing poles. Set to SE, often
it was a good as my 30m high 5 el  beam to the Caribbeans, and almost as good to
PY/LU/CE. Initially,the beam would not tune well unless the wires were separated
from the poles by 1 cm since the carbon poles are conductive.

For the first time I figured out how to do SO2R easily with the Flex and it
worked a few times. But not too long as my runs were short. I had a feeling that
the Flex was a drag on scores. Mediocre audio with a robot-like scratchy sound.
Using Heil 7 headset with DX element.

Also, in the middle of the contest I got an Interlock alarm that disabled
transmit. Before I figured out that it was due to band limits (14.348), I lost 1
hr of prime time. Flex radio is a nice concept but is poorly maintained. Lots
of bugs and very slow fixes create new bugs.

My rural QTH has a powolnie noise issue particularly to NW and on 10m. Hard to
figure out from where since the noise is carried on by the poles and many poles
are on private property. This time I set a NCC2 phaser to combine my main beams
to NW with the Spiderbeam aimed to the nearest pole. The powerline noise was
cancelled, and I made a number of South-East Asia QSOs.