[3830] NAQP SSB NN4RB Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nn4rb@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB NN4RB Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 22:35:41 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: NN4RB
Operator(s): NN4RB
Station: NN4RB

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: FM07ii
Operating Time (hrs): 7:35

  160:   17    11
   80:  121    35
   40:   28    19
   20:   25    14
   15:   12     9
   10:    0
-------------------
Total:  203    88  Total Score = 17,864

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Started late, however I was supposed to have everything ready to go.  But,
Murphy popped up before the first contact.  Listening to the first call, I
rotated to the antenna to for a better signal and got a weaker one.  Switched to
the vertical and keyed up to discover high SWR.  Rechecked and I couldn't get
the tuner to tune below about 2:1 on 15 meters.  This will cause a fault
condition for the PA key circuit.  Lucky this is not a high power contest, but I
don't like flashing lights.
        So, I moved by to the SteppIR 3E and walked outside to check the tower.
Something did not look right.  The antenna was off about 100 degrees from the
direction that it should be.  I double check twice, and it all point to the beam
had slipped on the mast.  Never had this to happen before, and I don't remember
that bad of winds.  I looked into the N1MM rotor program and set an offset of
-100 degrees.  The antenna then lined up with the expected direction and
signals.  I'll just use the N1MM rotor control (cont J) and not pay attention to
the rotor controller meter. Now I have two things to work on that after the snow
melts.
        Made my first contact at 21:27 UTC or 4:21 PM local.  Locals heard were
Henry
(K4YCR)and John (N3MN).  I heard Ken (K4XL)several times and finally worked him
on 160m just before contest ended.  I also worked fellow QCWA members and SW
Virginia PVRC members Dana (N6DW) and Buddy (W4YE).
        Noticed a lot of novice or casual contesters.  The receiver filters was
set to
2.0 and sometimes 1.8 kHz. to get the contacts.  I really like this contest when
things are not so serious.  Name and a friendly comment goes a long way in
attitude to keep going.  Compared to last year I had less BIC time and the
scores show it.  Last year was 240 and this year was 203 contacts.
        I had fun. Next is 160 CW contest.  Don't need the rotor working for
that, but
a good beverage (spirits or wire) would be good to have.

73,
Rick
NN4RB

ICOM IC7610
SteppIR 3E with 40m
Optimized 80 meter dipole at 50' with tuner at bottom.  Works 160 with shorted
coax and bottom.