Resources
 This Week's Contests
 Classified Ads
 Contest Links
 Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : "Energy Saving" Fluorescent Lamp RFI Forums Help

1-4 of 4 messages

Page 1 of 1  

"Energy Saving" Fluorescent Lamp RFI Reply
by K4SE on June 11, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
Here's something that may help someone's RFI problem. Recently I noticed some very obnoxious S9 + 20 dB noise on 40 meters. No other ham bands were affected. The noise sounded like a continuous 60 Hz. arc. The bandwidth of the crud was between about 6.5 and 7.5 MHz. After de-energizing my household circuits one by one, I found that the culprit was one of those energy saving fluorescent bulbs designed to screw into a regular lamp socket. The bulb was made in China (surprise, surprise!) and branded "GE". It was designed to be as bright as a 60 watt incandescent lamp while drawing only 15 watts from the power line. Other similar fluorescent bulbs in the house have not yet caused noise problems of any consequence. Hope this experience helps someone with a similar noise problem! 73, de K4SE

RE: "Energy Saving" Fluorescent Lamp RFI Reply
by N2MG on July 7, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
I almost bought one of these so-called "energy saving" bulbs yesterday in Home Depot, until I read the package where it stated quite plainly that it would cause interference to radios, TVs and the like.

Their "fix"? Move the radio further away.

Yeah right.

Mike N2MG

by NJ3K on July 18, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
I have an electronic ballast in my kitchen light that causes noise on 20. So when I am on 20 I turn it off and some times put a note on the switch. The family has learned to work around it. I have put in a new ballast but it does the same thing.

by Rina on October 21, 2015 Mail this to a friend!
I was buying from them here https://www.mrosupply.com/ recently bulb started producing noise after a few days, should I ask for refund? at least try

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   10M PORTABLE OPERATION -ANTENNA IDEAS?
Previous Topic:   Wireless Networks
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.