Resources
 This Week's Contests
 Classified Ads
 Contest Links
 Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : 10M PORTABLE OPERATION -ANTENNA IDEAS? Forums Help

1-5 of 5 messages

Page 1 of 1  

10M PORTABLE OPERATION -ANTENNA IDEAS? Reply
by ve4mm on July 2, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
I am taking my wife for a holiday to Hawaii (Maui) this December during the 10M Contest.

I will bring my IC-706IIG and would like to operate the contest (if there are any conditions) from the hotel balcony.

Any ideas on what antenna to bring?? and mounts??

Thanks!

Mike, VE4MM

RE: 10M PORTABLE OPERATION -ANTENNA IDEAS? Reply
by N8SEX on July 7, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
My wife and I stayed in Maui at HANA, you may already know of the place, it is quite a journey to get their. Anyway, our "hut" was within 70 meters of the coastline.

I took my Yaesu FT100D, which is about compatable to your operating conditions. Here is what I did to make great DX work! I used an MP1 and c-clamped it to the rail facing the ocean front towards the US.

I made my own full lenth counterpoise cut to length for each band I wished to work.

Had a ball working DX all over the world,including eastern US calling me as if I were rare DX, HI.

Regards

John N8SEX

by VK4TI on July 24, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
The assumption is that you will be only operating 10 metres take or find a 3/4 or 5/8 wave vertical and get it as high as possible. From Hawaii your angles into JA and USA will be admirably served by the verticals and much easier to get installed. Otherwise a pair of stacked 5 ele beams but I think luggage space may be a problem. Why not try for a guest op spot and not worry about carting the gear??

Trent VK4TI

by NX5M on July 30, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
I'd try a dipole (or sloper) whichever is easy to get in the air. I'd also try to get a vertical in the air.
All you need for a vertical (1/4 wave) would be a few short pieces of aluminum tubing that could telescope inside eachother for transportation. Cut slits in the ends and put hose clamps on them to secure them when you are ready to put the antenna in the air. Use a short piece of pvc pipe for transportation and then use the same pvc as the base for the radiator. Drop 2 or 3 radials from the shield.
So what do you have to take? About 4 pieces of tubing (say 2 feet long each) inside the pvc pipe which is just over 2 feet long. In some other suitcase 4 or 5 pieces of wire 8 feet long (4 if just 2 radials on the vertical and the other two for the dipole).
Ah, do not forget the coax and a 2-position switch.

by KD4IBI on August 2, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
For portable work I have been using the Buddipole (horizontal dipole) and I like it. Very compact for travel. There is the Buddistick as well which is vertical.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Icom 706 in VW New Beetle
Previous Topic:   "Energy Saving" Fluorescent Lamp RFI
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.