Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Feeding a Loop Antenna Forums Help

1-3 of 3 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Feeding a Loop Antenna Reply
by kb0etc on July 23, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Okay, here we go. I have a full wave 160 meter loop fed with 235' of ladder line. I want to use this antenna from 160-6 meters.

I prefer to use a balun? If so, what a 4:1?

The highest I will ever get the loop off the ground is maybe around 40 feet.

I have a Palstar AT1500CV "T" tuner, and cannot bring the ladder into the house, so I will use coax.

What balun should I use?

Thanks & 73's

RE: Feeding a Loop Antenna Reply
by K2SC on July 24, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I have a full-wave horizontal 80m loop up at 30 feet and it works great !!! You should feed it with as much 450 ohm ladder line as possible, then use a 4:1 current balun to convert to 50 ohm coaxial cable prior to entering the house. You should be able to tune 160-6 meters with this setup. FYI, my 80m loop tunes up on 160m without a problem, although I'm sure it's at a compromise to a full-size 160m loop (just don't have the room for one that BIG at this time). Hope this helps... enjoy !!! 73, Steve

RE: Feeding a Loop Antenna Reply
by KT8K on August 5, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I think K2SC means "use as little coax as possible", not "use as much 450 ohm line as possible". When SWR is high the coax will be lossy due to pure I-squared R loss, so use as little as possible. That's why it is so often recommended that one run the ladder line directly to the tuner in these situations. Check the loop with an antenna analyzer without the tuner, though. Some actually have a pretty low SWR over most of the spectrum.
Happy dxing de kt8k - Tim

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Russian RTTY
Previous Topic:   3B8 & S79
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.