Resources
 This Week's Contests
 Classified Ads
 Contest Links
 Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Using VOX or Footswitch for SSB Contests? Forums Help

1-7 of 7 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Using VOX or Footswitch for SSB Contests? Reply
by W3DQ on April 6, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I've always used a footswitch PTT for phone contests.

With the advent (for me) of playback loops (I use Writelog), it seems to me I should be using VOX instead of PTT. I've never been too comfortable using VOX and was wondering what other people are doing.

Comments/ideas/suggestions appreciated!

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC

RE: Using VOX or Footswitch for SSB Contests? Reply
by NA4M on April 6, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I've always used a footswitch (STT - Stomp-To-Talk) for all my SSB operating, especially in SSB contests. I also use WriteLog for contest logging with a W9XT voice keyer card. Works great. WriteLog will key the PTT line when sending a W9XT voice keyer message so no need to use the footswitch with the keyer. Always found VOX awkward.

by DF3KV on April 6, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I use VOX only, it is much faster and more comfortable.

My legs are positioned what ever I like and it is always possible to
move around a bit with the chair.
With my cordless keyboard on the knees I can swing back to a really
relaxed position.

When I operate at clubstations I usually find no provision for VOX
as most use the Footswitch to key a sequenzer.
Keeping position over several hours I feel very unpleasant and tiring.

Peter

by k4xs on April 7, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
VOX is THE way to go. During the LOOOONNNGG 48 hour contests, who wants to have to have their feet in the same place all the time. No need for that with VOX. It's better to miss an exchange once in a while because you accidentally kicked the VOX, than to not have the mobiltiy to operate standing, sitting or even doing the Monica Lewinski position, as a change of pace.

by W3SE on April 7, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I Prefer to use the old Stomp to Talk during SSB contests HF thru V/UHF. Prevents the first letter of your call or some portion being cut out, also, if the station you are calling returns before your Vox Drops, some one might slip their call in the delay, and they work the station instead of you. With a generous length of Cable, no matter what position you sit, your feet might be on the floor. (at least Mine are) I run two MFJ-434's interfaced with CT.

73, Wes, W3SE

by VO1MP on May 8, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
What's a foot switch ? More importantly why would anybody want to keep their feet ( foot ) glued to one spot on the floor for 36 to 48 hours ? Obviously vox is the the way for me and many others. Only foot switch I have ever used was connected to my programmable CW keyer (pre keyboard era ), now that worked very well at the time in quad-mode
left foot RST
right foot Call sign
left hand keyer
and right hand pencil, slightly off topic but it is a FOOT switch hi ! 73 gus

by N6VUY on January 9, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
Well VOX can be handy tool for any contest but you have take your time to find the right adjustments for it. I prefer to use a foot switch like somebody wrote above "Stomp to Talk" also as an extra to the the station I have used a "voice keyer" and save a little on the voice. I used it in the last Nov. Sweepstakes with very good results.

Jose
N6VUY

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Rtty Pinout
Previous Topic:   Amperex5868
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.