Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Technician Level Contesting Forums Help

1-2 of 2 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Technician Level Contesting Reply
by KG6DNJ on November 30, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
I'm a fairly new HAM, I hold a technician license, and currently only have access to 2 meter FM radios. From what I've seen, read, etc. it appears that to do any kind of serious contesting, you need to have at least a General license, and an HF rig. Is this indeed the case, or can someone like myself, with a technician license and a 2 meter radio get involved in Contesting?

RE: Technician Level Contesting Reply
by N4ZR on December 1, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
I'd suggest you look at the results of contests in QST and CQ. Depending on your interests, there are phone and CW contest for HF and for VHF and above. In each of these contests there are multi-op stations. Contact one in your area and offer your services. You can't expect to become one of their key ops right away, but in most cases your help and participation will be welcome and you'll learn a ton.

Another door-opener is Field Day. Although not officially a contest, many clubs do multi-transmitter efforts where there are never enough operators. You don't have to have an HF license to participate (this is also true of multi-ops) because there are control operators present to supervise.

The big thing is to dive in and get wet!

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Technician Level Contesting
Previous Topic:   towers - how close can they be
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.