TRLog

[TRLog] TR Can't Find File in Path

Subject: [TRLog] TR Can't Find File in Path
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:27:32 -0800
Thanks for all the input, both here and direct.  Progress has been
made.  In attempting to keep the original post short I didn't say
enough.  I will now probably say too much.

Here's how I set up the TR environment.

D:\HamRadio\TRLog
            |_Log
            | |_CfgFiles

            |_Contests
            | |_NAQP
            | |    |_SSB
            | |      |_Winter
            | |        |_2001
            | |        |_2002
            | |_etc

            |_Versions
              |_6.56
              |_6.56+
              |_etc

There are many more contests.  This is just an example.

When I set up for a contest, I make the Log directory current,
type TR and go through the contest setup procedure.  Why do I do
it this way?  Because I followed the manual for the first one and
did it the same way ever since.  Once the contest is over, I exit
TR and type POST.  Once I have everything done, my Soapbox story
written and everything submitted to 3830 and the contest manager I
move all the files in the Log directory to the appropriate contest
directory.

I use several config files:

stdcfg.dat which contains all the stuff that doesn't change from
contest to contest.  It resides in \TRLog.  It does NOT require an
INPUT CONFIG FILE statement.  TR looks for it automatically.

A contest specific config file.  e.g. for NAQP SSB I have a file
called NAQPSSB.icf.  Why .icf?  If it was .cfg TR would think it
was a contest config file and offer to load it as a contest.  I
have been putting this .icf file into \Log.  Why don't I just use
the TR default for each contest?  They don't meet my perceived
needs.  Maybe, if I get to be as good as Tree (good luck), I'll
find the defaults are perfect.  In the meantime, I need F7 to say
PSE QRS.  Also, some contests don't have defaults for the F Keys.

An SO2R simulator for my single MkV which I call SO1_5R.icf.  This
file doesn't change from contest to contest.  This also lives in
\Log but, if I remember right, could also be in \TRLog.

Haven't done it yet but expect to have contest specific config
files for the CQ and Exchange menus for use with SO1_5R.

My objective is to set things up to make it easy to do the
following:

When there is an upgrade to TR I move everything out of \TRLog
into an appropriate directory under \Versions just in case.  To
minimize mistakes I don't want any files in there that don't
change from version to version.  Probably stuck with keeping
stdcfg.dat there, though.  Haven't tried putting it anywhere else.

When I move the files from \Log to the appropriate contest
directory I want to be able to select them all and move them
without worrying about moving something that should stay there.

So, am I anal or what?

Several suggested that if I include the complete path to the
config files in the INPUT CONFIG FILE = statement that TR will
find them.  I tried this before sending my original post.  Didn't
work.  For example, the following fails.
INPUT CONFIG FILE = D:\HamRadio\TRLog\Log\CfgFiles\NAQPCW.icf.

While writing this I tried INPUT CONFIG FILE =
CfgFiles\NAQPCW.icf.  To my great delight, this works provided
that \Log is the current directory.  Note that there is no
backslash in front of CfgFiles.

Just tried \HamRadio\TRLog\Log\CfgFiles\NAQPCW.icf.  Hey, it works
too!  Note that there IS a backslash in front of HamRadio.  So, it
looks like my problem is solved as long as I don't use the Drive
letter in the path.

An alternative setup, suggested by K8CV, would be to forget about
the \Log directory and run each contest in it's own directory.
e.g. NAQP SSB would be run in
D:\HamRadio\TRLog\Contests\NAQP\SSB.  This would have the
advantage of not having to set up each contest each time and then
editing them to add the INPUT CONFIG FILE statements as the
logcfg.dat from the previous time could be left in the directory
when moving the contest files after finishing with them.  To start
a contest he runs a DOS batch file which makes the desired contest
directory current and then starts TR.  He has a batch file for
each contest.  In the Win98 environment I would think a shortcut
to TR in each contest directory would take care of this.  Just
click on the contest you want and you're there.

I may try this system out.  If I do, I'll report back on how it
works.

Thanks all and 73 de Jim Smith  VE7FO