TRLog

[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:12:57 -0500
--=====================_157210687==_.ALT

At 12:54 10/15/2001, LogWindows@aol.com wrote:

>Ken,
>
>This is NOT what I said.
>
>First, Windows is a stable O/S, much more stable than dos. In my previous
>life, I wrote Operating System code for The Software Link, on the
>Multiuser/Multitasking version of DOS called PC-MOS. From that experience,
>and my time with Microsoft and my friends at Microsoft, I do know that both
>the 9X and NT based versions of Windows are much better code than DOS ever
>was.
>
>Second, the goal would have been to create a functionality equivalent of
>TRLog for the Windows O/S. While some features would be changed (i.e
>networking, etc), it would just take time to have a full featured version.
>
>The reason we didn't proceed with the project is that after I compiled the
>results of the survey, most users wanted a DOS version of TRLog that worked
>well under Windows. Many of the users didn't want to pay one dime for the
>Windows upgrade, even though I was going to invest over $100,000 to do it.
>
>Also, Tree would have gotten a royalty and W4SCO (owner of Log Windows) would
>have gotten a royalty from each sale (as they should), so I didn't see any
>way to repay the investment or even look at making a profit, if the current
>userbase wanted the Windows version for free or didn't want it all.
>
>And if any if you think that there is a profit in writing ham software, you
>may want to rethink you assumptions.  :) The ham market is such a tiny
>market, even as compared to hobby markets like Stage Magic and woodworking.
>
>Rick - W4PC

Everything you say hear is true and it is too bad. I would have aid up to
100 dollars for a fully functional windows version of TRLOG and been happy
to do it. I know many would not. They are crazy and it is that attitude
that has killed it.
Instead, I had to pay the fee nearly that high for WriteLog and learn a new
program.

>In a message dated 10/15/2001 9:48:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
>kharker@cs.utexas.edu writes:
>
> > The proposed port of TR Log to Windows would have been done by W4PC and
> >  others at Creative Services Software - not by Tree.  W4PC did a little
> >  research and concluded that TR Log users would not be likely to switch
> >  from a stable, feature-rich product on a real-time OS to something that
> >  (at least for a while would be) a developing, feature-poor product on an
> >  unstable OS.  You could argue that a better market to target would be
> >  those who are not already invested in TR Log, but nonetheless, that's
> >  why W4PC claims to have dropped the project.
> >

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog
>Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
>Feature Wishlist:         http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_157210687==_.ALT

At 12:54 10/15/2001, LogWindows@aol.com wrote:<br><br>
This is NOT what I said.<br><br>
First, Windows is a stable O/S, much more stable than dos. In my previous
life, I wrote Operating System code for The Software Link, on the <br>
Multiuser/Multitasking version of DOS called PC-MOS. From that
experience, <br>
and my time with Microsoft and my friends at Microsoft, I do know that
both <br>
the 9X and NT based versions of Windows are much better code than DOS
ever <br>
was.<br><br>
Second, the goal would have been to create a functionality equivalent of
TRLog for the Windows O/S. While some features would be changed (i.e
networking, etc), it would just take time to have a full featured
version.<br><br>
The reason we didn't proceed with the project is that after I compiled
the <br>
results of the survey, most users wanted a DOS version of TRLog that
worked <br>
well under Windows. Many of the users didn't want to pay one dime for the
Windows upgrade, even though I was going to invest over $100,000 to do
it.&nbsp; <br><br>
Also, Tree would have gotten a royalty and W4SCO (owner of Log Windows)
would <br>
have gotten a royalty from each sale (as they should), so I didn't see
any <br>
way to repay the investment or even look at making a profit, if the
current <br>
userbase wanted the Windows version for free or didn't want it
all.<br><br>
And if any if you think that there is a profit in writing ham software,
you <br>
may want to rethink you assumptions.&nbsp; :) The ham market is such a
tiny <br>
market, even as compared to hobby markets like Stage Magic and
woodworking.<br><br>
Everything you say hear is true and it is too bad. I would have aid up to
100 dollars for a fully functional windows version of TRLOG and been
happy to do it. I know many would not. They are crazy and it is that
attitude that has killed it.<br>
Instead, I had to pay the fee nearly that high for WriteLog and learn a
new program.<br><br>
9:48:27 AM Central Daylight Time, <br>
kharker@cs.utexas.edu writes:<br><br>
&gt; The proposed port of TR Log to Windows would have been done by W4PC
and<br>
&gt;&nbsp; others at Creative Services Software - not by Tree.&nbsp; W4PC
did a little <br>
&gt;&nbsp; research and concluded that TR Log users would not be likely
to switch<br>
&gt;&nbsp; from a stable, feature-rich product on a real-time OS to
something that <br>
&gt;&nbsp; (at least for a while would be) a developing, feature-poor
product on an<br>
&gt;&nbsp; unstable OS.&nbsp; You could argue that a better market to
target would be <br>
&gt;&nbsp; those who are not already invested in TR Log, but nonetheless,
that's <br>
&gt;&nbsp; why W4PC claims to have dropped the project.<br>
&gt;&nbsp; <br><br>
--<br>
FAQ on
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
eudora="autourl">http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog</a><br>
Submissions:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
trlog@contesting.com<br>
Administrative requests:&nbsp; trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com<br>
Problems:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
owner-trlog@contesting.com<br>
Feature
Wishlist:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;
eudora="autourl">http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html</a></blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
eudora="autourl">http://members.home.com/gbaron</a><br>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>