TRLog

More 765/Clone CT-17 Info

Subject: More 765/Clone CT-17 Info
From: aa4nu@ix.netcom.com (Billy W. Cox)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:42:55 -0800
Here's a few more details on the "clone" CT-17 I used here
with my IC-765 ...

I did not add the 'stock' LED that shows the "CT-17" is ON.
The reason I left that off is that I built mine and mounted
it INSIDE the pc, one end of the plastic minibox had a DB-9
on it. That made it easy to hook to a serial board, I just
"plugged" the unit to the cable/connector that normally
mounted in the slot to the PC case ... The "output" (to the 765)
was done by mounting the minibox to a "blank slot cover" and
drilling a hole in the slot cover for the connector so I could
use a plug to connect to the rig ...

                  plastic       X
                  minibox       X
              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              x                xX
          DB9 x 'CT-17 stuff'  ZZ <- Connector to IC-765
              x                xX
              xxYxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
                !               X
               12 volts         X
                                X <- Blank Slot Cover

To power the unit, I 'robbed' the 12 volts off the two main
plugs that go to the motherboard ... PC is on, interface is on.
One less thing to worry about going wrong in a contest ...

One cable, from the PC to the 765, I made it using shielded
wire and had no problems with RFI ... No external power
supplies, or such needed ... I figured less RFI also by
having the interface INSIDE the PC ...

Those who asked for the CT-17 info to be faxed, and are located
in the US, they have gone out. Those outside the USA will go
tonight when the rates drop ...

The MAX232 chip that the 'CT-17' uses actually has the provisions
for TWO "circuits" ... We found this out troubleshooting one that
had taken a BAD surge. Solution ? We used the "other connections"
and had it up and running again using the "bad chip", remember that
when you go to that rare contest site ... and the interface dies ...

Now ... Anyone have a "clone" diagram for a ETO Alpha 87-a ??? :-)

Enjoy !

73 Bill AA4NU