Re: [TowerTalk] Open-wire transmission line

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open-wire transmission line
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:17:10 -0800
In private correspondence, K1XX told me he was trying to "de-tune" a tower by dropping down a wire from the top and then connecting it
to ground through an adjustable reactance.  So the tower is one
conductor and the wire is the other, and obviously the diameters
are greatly different.  The tower is triangular, so the round
conductor formulas aren't super accurate.  There are two modes
in this case, a radiating mode, and a "private" mode.  Even
if you knew the characteristic impedances of the respective
modes, it is a complicated problem to solve.

73
Rick N6RK