Re: [TowerTalk] Open-wire transmission line

To: Steve Jones <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open-wire transmission line
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 05:27:25 -0600
Of course that will work depending on the matching network and load Z
encountered.  But we're dealing with RF; not audio despite the recent
digression, and the advisory 600 ohm line is intended to be a happy
medium compromise between the antenna impedance extremes likely
encountered.  But it's not a law; you can employ any characteristic
impedance you want--you can use zip cord -- it's just that the vswr on
the line will be higher if the load is several thousand ohms and
without that spacing you might experience voltage flash over.  But if
you only use a half wave dipole on its half wave frequency you could
do quite well with twisted pair.  But then, if you have room for a
dipole on every band of interest, you could use coax and baluns.  I
only have room for two dipoles and they have to be at right angles to
each other, hence ladder line and link coupled tuners here.

Rob
K5UJ