[TowerTalk] microHAM ARCO and the OR2800 Orion: Good combo?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] microHAM ARCO and the OR2800 Orion: Good combo?
From: al.n6ta@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:39:40 -0800
Santa may be visiting me this year and bringing an ARCO controller to work
with my year old OR2800  (DC motor).  I cannot find any specs o the drive
current to the OR2800 motor or maximum power needed by the motor to turn my
mast.  The ARCO has a high power option for the power supply that I doubt I
need but would appreciate any comments.  I also doubt that having a lot of
overhead power available would help turn a mast that has some kind of
friction issue.

My antenna is a DB36/80 that is 2 feet above the bearing on the top of the
DX-70 Tash tower.  The rotor is about 7 been down from the tower top and the
mast is attached with a K7NV clamp and 'I think' the mast is resting on the
bottom of the clamp, not being partially supported by the bearing.

I am currently using a GH RT21 to control the rotor and it has worked well
but I am currently experiencing a problem that is yet to be resolved.  I
will detail that in a separate posting.  Though I doubt the controller is a
root cause of my intermittent ability to turn the antenna, I would like a
general shack upgrade 'because I deserve it'.

So, if anyone thinks a high power option for my simple antenna is useful, I
would like to know and why.

Thanks es 73,

Al  N6TA