Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Electrical Joint Compound

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Electrical Joint Compound
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 22:04:56 -0800
On 12/4/2023 5:47 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
  LMR400-Ultraflex
cable I installed about 15 years ago has started to decompose.  At the time
of installation, I knew the Ultraflex version has a shorter life span but
wasn't expecting such severe decomposition.  The jacket is crumbling due to
its rubber composition.

The only LMR cable I've ever owned was an end length of LMR400-UF that I bought used at that big hamfest that was on the SW side. This was probably 20 years ago, when I was getting back on the air. It was not nice cable.

OTOH, about 15 years ago, I helped N6RZ's widow liquidate his station and massive stash of stuff. I bought the hard line and a lot of the other stuff, but took the coax, almost all of which was in pretty good condition, to an NCCC meeting for the guys to take. They all turned their noses up at it, so I brought it home and made stubs with it, all of which measured "like new" (meaning a nice high-Q resonance, indicating very low loss). Only one or two short pieces that had been stored in a pretty primitive outbuilding showed any significant deterioration; opening it up showed a badly oxidized copper shield.

My lesson from that it's a waste of money to replace coax just because it's old. To replace it with something better, sure. :) The only coax I've had to replace are a couple of lengths that got water in them from home-brew center insulators that weren't well enough sealed.

73, Jim K9YC