Re: [TowerTalk] High power 2:1 transformer was Re: 16om vertical and the

To: Chuck Dietz <w5prchuck@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High power 2:1 transformer was Re: 16om vertical and the number of radials
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 09:57:14 -0800
The capacitors are on the 25 ohm side so the transmission line transformer sees a low swr. Hence, the caps need to handle 2x the current. The details are in my QEX article "Broad-banding a 160m Vertical Antenna" QEX May/June 2019. (errata - pin #'s on the connecting cable are incorrect).

No problems with the match since putting it up, now at 101 confirmed on 160m :) all on this antenna.

The 8 elevated aluminum electric fence wire radials are all still original. The top support (center of the T) was broken off by a falling branch which was replace 10/2022. However, I'm sure there is a lot of loss (4+ db?) from being in a forest. That's the price of free antenna supports (110ft fir/cedar trees).

I currently have 10-12" of snow (YUK a record) on the ground and heavy snow on the radials (and droop). That has changed the resonance up about 50KHz. So another nice capability of the tuner.

Grant KZ1W