Re: [TowerTalk] 40M dipole above beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M dipole above beam
From: hp via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:49:54 -0400 (EDT)
I can say with absolute certainty that a M2 40M1L linear loaded dipole parallel
to elements of a M2 KT34 will absolutely destroy 15 meter F/B and move 15M SWR.
I was rebuilding my 27 year old KT34 which always had poor F/B and SWR at low
end of 15 and would get the F/B and SWR just fine one night-then next night
after making the changes permanent -it would be wayyyy different.

At about 27 foot separation it would move F/B least 100khz -
I had a 40M1l at 50 feet on a tower and the KT34 on a roof tripod
at about 23 feet -and was having SWR / F/B trouble at low end of 15 .

It finally dawned on me that I was using the 40M1l in evening and would leave
it wherever it happened to be and that was usually pretty much broadside N-S
-parallel to the KT34 elements when pointed north. .I was doing KT34 F/B with a
source due North a couple miles away and he and my Grandson (Armstrong KT34
rotater) had concluded I was totally nuts.

Put the 40M1l end on to the source and EUREKA F/B and swr would repeat every
time. I could rotate the dipole and watch F/B go to pot.

Hank K7HP