Re: [TowerTalk] Broadcast Band AM Transmiiter Intererence on 160M

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broadcast Band AM Transmiiter Intererence on 160M
From: <marko.n5zo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 19:04:53 -0800
Mike,
I just built this filter from kit I had acquired couple years ago.  All AM
interference is gone with this filter online before my RX antenna preamp.  I
also tried it on my transmit antenna (to listen without preamp) and it
attenuates AM interference better than my transmit BPF (Hamation) when
listening with main atenna (top fed sloper on 160).  I think my interference
was also coming from some station around 1400MHz at least when I tuned
around couple years ago.  I don't see it at all with this filter online,
without there is lots of artifacts on SDR.  It has very sharp drop below
1.8MHz, like -35 dB at 1.5 MHz and -45 dB at 1.4 MHz.  There is some
attenuation already on 160 m band, like couple dBs at low end of the band,
and one could try to tune it by squeezing/spreading wire on toroids but I
have not tried it.  I will send you couple pictures of measurements in
direct email.  I don't know how fast one can get these shipped from VK land,
but price is reasonable.
https://www.minikits.com.au/electronic-kits/filter-kits/hf-highpass-filters
I also have 7 or 8 pole filter from same Aussie guys and it also almost gets
rid of AM interference but is not quite as sharp.  I don't see that 7 or 8
pole filter on website so probably not available any more.
73 de Marko N5ZO

Message: 3