Re: [TowerTalk] How critical is the 120 degree ...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How critical is the 120 degree ...
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:53:29 -0500
Both cases are fairly simple vector analyses. Deviating from the 120 degree spacing will result in increased tension on some of the guys, as well as vertical load on the tower.. You can calculate that, and increase the size of the guy wires and anchors, if necessary. Likewise the distance to the guy points: the closer they are to the tower, the greater the tension on the guys and the greater the vertical load on the tower. If you can't do the calculations yourself, or if required by local codes, consult a professional.

By the way, the convenient thing about the 120 degree spacing is, assuming all the guys are anchored at the same distance from the tower and same elevation, the worst case tension in a single guy is just the same as the tension in one guy with the wind blowing directly from the anchor point to the tower, i. e. , directly in line with one guy. If the wind happens to be blowing exactly between two guys, each will see that same tension. It's more complicated if the spacing is different. Changing just the spacing between two guys to 130 degrees increases the maximum guy tension by about 20 percent. (cos60/cos65)

Keep in mind that this all comes from Engineering Mechanics 101 nearly 50 years ago. We electrical types all hated that course, but it's been one of the most useful to me.

73,
Scott K9MA