Re: [TowerTalk] New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 16:07:18 -0700
On 6/16/2021 2:39 PM, Dan Maguire wrote:
I never found an actual datasheet for Amidon type 31.  A link to a
page showing the u'/u'' plots, not just physical dimensions, would be
much appreciated.  Amidon has not responded to email requests.

Amidon is not a manufacturer, they are a distributor/reseller, and they've been selling stuff at VERY high markups (like $15 for a part that costs them less than $3) for years, having invented part numbers like 240-xx. The manufacturer of the parts identified with Fair-Rite mix numbers is Fair-Rite, an old line US company. Many manufacturers make mixes similar to their #43 and their #61. The chemical recipes for some of these materials is a closely guarded secret. The properties of #31 is quite special compared to other MnZn materials.

Many years ago there was a ham named Amidon. Long SK. Fair-Rite was owned by a husband and wife team, and I met them in 2004-5 at an IEEE EMC conference where I was presenting a paper. She was the EE, he was the ChemE. They retired a few years later, but last I heard, the company is still owned by the family. Don't know if they're still alive.

73, Jim K9YC