Re: [TowerTalk] New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 09:02:46 -0700
On 6/16/21 8:33 AM, jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net wrote:
On a  side note, N3RR,  Bill Hider, a few yrs ago, bought  700  (seven
hundred) of the type  31,  2.4 inch OD cores...from I think,  Fair
rite..... and the tolerance between all of em  was strewn all  over the
map,  like  +  or  -  20+ %.   Bill came up with a simple  1  turn test to
evaluate,and then grade them into various groups.  Some time in the past,
apparently  Fair rite  moved their production facilities to  CHINA, and
after that, the  +/- tolerances went all to hell.

20% tolerance has been standard on magnetics for decades. And fairly large temperature coefficients too, like any magnetic material.

I don't know that their Chinese facility (2013) actually had much effect on their quality and consistency.