Re: [TowerTalk] TOWER LIGHTS

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TOWER LIGHTS
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 21:45:09 -0700
"Here it’s( was) 200 feet and over and they had to be an approved type. Different blink pattern day/night."

Don't rule out uneducated, and reactionary imbeciles, either... We had a 199.9' tower put in the community. Met all requirements. Local short term political attention whores (neighbors getting "elected" into positions they think matter) insisted on a light, which was pointless, since minimal craft level by federal law is 1,000'. "Someone might hit it!" Sure, and if they might hit that, they might hit a power pole, or tree, but you don't want lights on those... Putting on the light, made the tower roughly 202' high, which ironically, requires a light! The light that wasn't required satisfied the requirement of the light on the tower that didn't require one... The guy that programmed the light pattern did. It flashed very slowly, "F--K YOU", which wasn't noticed for years. I wouldn't have even noticed myself, had I not gotten into QRSS CW at the time. At some point, the unobtrusive gray galvanized tower was painted a brilliant red/white scheme, making it visible for miles. You'd think this was for safety, as you look down on it, in a bowl, from the hills surrounding it, and between 5, and ten times the height of the tower, where there are no craft in danger of hitting it.... Nope, I talked with the crew. "Every time someone says something stupid, or annoying, we get told to make it more offensive!"

Back to the primary issue... What one says, thinks, et cetera, may have nothing to do with anything. Find someone in your country who knows the rules, as they pertain to towers, lighting, craft, what-have-you, here it's the Code Of Federal Regulations, and just read it. What is printed is law, anything else is opinion. Make certain to get the most RECENT printing, a two year old book doesn't cut it, not here, anyway. Years were wasted fighting for a light on a tower that by law, and as far as all agencies concerned with safety, and enforcement were concerned, FCC, and FAA, didn't need one anyway.

I'd start with, "Why?", then as they attempt to answer, they may find one isn't needed. Alternately, maybe it is, but the answer should provide valid information. Get it in writing, from a valid source, words from the counter help are worthless in the end, the person making a fuzz now, may be cleaning toilets at a fast food joint in a week. From experience, however, I'd find out on my own first. They average person you may deal with, may hope you know less than they do, and it never does one good to go in blind, or uninformed.

Best of luck, please keep us advised!

Kurt