Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M
From: <k1ttt.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:08:45 -0400
I had stacked 40-2cd's years ago.  Both exhibited intermittent connections on
the reflector coil connections resulting in fluctuating swr.  I 'assume' the
driven element didn't show that problem because it would likely arc over the
thing oxidation layer at any reasonable power level.  The fix was to take off
the end of the shrink wrap that covered the connections, remove the sheet metal
screws and drill through for a machine screw... clean and add noalox, tighten
well and trim off excess length of screw, then cover with shrink wrap that had
the meltable sealant.  I know others who had similar problems with the older cc
40's, not sure if they changed the design on later versions or not.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: telnet://k1ttt.net:7373