Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 15:10:35 -0700
On 9/1/19 11:41 AM, Doug Ronald wrote:
I would like to talk to you about that vane idea when I get further along on
the repair of this LP. Those back 4 elements are really heavy, so placing
the boom-to-mast mounting plate in the physical center of the boom would
have required massive counter weights on the high-frequency end of the boom.
There are already two counter weights there now with about 240 pounds weight
total.
The wind torque on this antenna is so much that I have to remove the drive
chain from the rotor in a storm to prevent breaking the shear pin in the
rotor.
If the vane idea will neutralize the boom's torque, what about the 104 foot
long back elements? In a steady wind, how will the antenna orient itself if
free to rotate 360 degrees? Of course now in a steady wind, the butt end
always faces the wind direction.
Doug, W6DSR

I would also wonder about the elements flexing in the wind load. Both from an oscillation standpoint (what's the first mode frequency?) and from a scenario where the element bends, which changes the "projected area" relative to the wind, so the drag changes, etc.

Of course, in some cases, there is "previous installation experience" to look at - if there aren't any design changes, and they've got live experience with the antenna not failing in a wind of X mi/hr.

But the whole resonant excitation thing is a challenge to model properly, especially if the element is tapered (since the stiffness changes with position along the element, as does the aeolian excitation frequency).