Re: [TowerTalk] Tower foundation and bedrock

To: towertalk@contesting.com, cxl24@case.edu
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower foundation and bedrock
From: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 16:32:12 +0000 (UTC)
>  I have the opportunity to put up a TX-455 tower on the property of
>mybrother-in-law:  200+ acres and no zoning issues.  He says, however,
>thatthere is limestone bedrock about only three feet down.  Before I
>startDigging pilot holes, is there any advice a how to proceed with providing
>asolid foundation if this is the case.
    What sort of shape is the bedrock in? Is it shattered? How big are the
pieces?
    If you have to use "extreme" techniques to get the bedrock out, why are you
removing it? You want your tower to have a 3000 PSI concrete base and most
rocks are equal to or more to that. Why excavate a hole of heavy material and
then refill it with different heavy material?

    If this was my installation, I'd drill holes into the bedrock, epoxy in a
bunch of rebar (you could even use a concrete adhesive to bond the rock and the
concrete) and then fill the 3' hole with concrete with the anchor bolts in it.
Voila! A yard or two of concrete and you have a 100% reliable, simple and
cheaper tower base. I'm just saying.
Cheers,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECH-Professional tower services for amateur and
commercialCell: 206-890-4188