Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 158, Issue 20

To: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 158, Issue 20
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 17:06:59 -0800
Having tried a Beverage over a barb wire fence, it had poor performance. A Beverage needs a significantly lower conductivity ground underneath to develop the signal and barb wire is not that. Now that I know better, I built an EZNEC model of a 10' high 600' Beverage over 3 barb wire strands 2', 3,' & 4' high, each insulated every 200', and the model yielded an RDF of 11db at 1.8MHz. I had 600' of not insulated barb wire off both ends that didn't have a noticeable effect. That RDF sounds a bit too good, but shows it might work ok. It also appears picking 200' sections for the model was fortuitous so perhaps the idea can be further optimized. Not that it matters much for me as I sold my ranch last fall.

Since cows are not Beverage friendly, you might try one of the various phased vertical receive antennas that fit in much smaller spaces. I've used the DX Eng 4 sq and the DHDL and had good results.

Grant KZ1W