[TowerTalk] FCC Soil Conductivity Maps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] FCC Soil Conductivity Maps
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 16:05:01 -0800
On Tue,2/9/2016 11:49 AM, jimlux wrote:
It's useful for deciding "are we building our AM transmitter in a good or bad conductivity location"

That's a rather secondary use of these maps. Primarily, they are used in conjunction with families of curves, one family for every 80 kHz or so of the AM broadcast band, to predict ground wave coverage. These curves are part of the FCC Rules. In the FCC Rules, an important criteria for a new broadcast station is non-interference with existing stations. There's one standard for stations on the same channel, another for those on the first adjacent channel, and a third for those on the second adjacent channel.

73, Jim K9YC