Re: [TowerTalk] Delta Loop Tuning Tip

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Delta Loop Tuning Tip
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@k8nd.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 15:54:08 -0400
> This year I figured out an easier way to adjust the frequency of the
loops. I
> tuned them for the SSB portion of the band. To lower the resonant
frequency
> for SW, I simply attached a length of wire to the center of the bottom of
> each loop. About 10-12 feet was enough to get the frequency to the CW
portion
> of the band. The stubs can be left to hang down, or the can be suspended
so
> they are parallel to the ground. This approach does not require loosening
and
> re-tightening the supports for the base leg.
>
> -Tony, K1KP

At PJ2T we've used this technique on each of the elements of our 3-element
Europe delta loop array for 10 years.

Each element has this tuning wire, and we use old-style knife switches to
select CW or SSB (the loop bottoms are close enough to the ground to be
reached easily). Our wires are run approximately at right angles to the
plane of the loop to nearby bushes.

A connector was installed in the center of the top leg of each loop to
measure the resonant frequency of each loop.

73,  Jeff  K8ND