Topband

Topband: Sanity Check on K9AY Loop Sensitivity

To: topband reflector <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Sanity Check on K9AY Loop Sensitivity
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:59:09 -0500
I just deployed my K9AY loop (yes, I know I'm late).  Anyhow, while it shows substantial directivity on broadcast stations, I was surprise by how much the K9AY loop's sensitivity suffers compared to my inverted L. Listening to a broadcast station with the K9AY on 1500 KHz, the station is S6-7 in the right direction and S3 in the reverse. and S9 +10 on the inverted L. There's also something haywire in the K9AY's preamp, which *reduces* signal by a couple of S-Units.  Could be I need to replace the transistor?

--
73, Pete N4ZR
One of the RBN team