Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:00:24 -0700
On 7/25/2014 12:42 PM, K8JHR wrote:
The argument clearly cuts both ways. A bit of a dilemma, actually.

The WRTC operators chose their radios based on years of contesting experience, not for one contest alone. The WRTC competitors are all first rate operators -- to even BE there the #1 op on each team had to win a three-year long competition in several dozen major contests, and he chose his #2 op (who he believes is also one of the best). So the list of radios reflects the choices of 118 of the world's top contesters, and what they were able to bring to New England from their home country, or borrow here.

Think about it. If I can buy a top quality radio (for my purposes) for $5k (loaded with 2nd RX, filters, tuner, spectrum display), why would I want to spend $10K for a product that was not $5K better? I paid a total of $5K for three used Titan amps from which I've already gotten 10 years of good use, and which will likely last as long as I do. Why would I want to spend $30K for three Alphas or ACOMs? The only reason I can think of is some degree of automation, and it ain't worth $25K that I don't have. :)

I'll make another point that any good businessman understands. Making a profit is usually a matter of optimizing many factors, many of them small, producing a net profit of a few percent. Success in contesting is no different -- there is operating skill, there is the radio, the antenna farm, the control system, the filters that minimize interference to other bands, how much sleep the operator got the night before, etc. The radio is one of those factors.

Far too much attention is paid to "top 3". To do anything meaningful with respect to order of finish would require a lot of statistical analysis, taking factors like operator logging accuracy and home field advantage into account.

73, Jim K9YC