Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:40:21 -0400

On 4/26/2013 4:58 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:
As to worrying about buried LMR 400, that would best be done before
burying.

        Yes... but it has been out there for a few years
        already, so it amounts to a fait accompli !   I
        wonder how long before I will need to replace it.

Any coax candidate for your use should state on its data
sheet, or catalog page, "non contaminating jacket".

        I used Times-Microwave LMR-400 DB - around 55 ft.
        Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Even if it is that,
I come from the old school, and to avoid unknown earth character as to
acid or alkali content; I would bury a conduit of PVC, then insert the
coax in that.

        Ah.... yes.   Excellent point.  At time time, I was
        trying to remain within budget, minimize the damage
        and visual impact on the lawn, and maximize XYL approval
        of my 65 radials and buried feed line, so some compromise
        was due.  I made no other compromises in the installation, so
        I figured LMR-400 DB would be OK for such a short run -AND
        I was not sure how long it would remain in the yard.

        Did I mention it was the last week of November and it snowed
        as we laid the first batch of 30 radials...?

        And did I mention how much help the XYL was in completing
        the project before it started to snow?   I bet there are
        very few hams with a photos of his young bride helping
        to dig the trench for his buried transmission line...

        http://tinyurl.com/bvjv6lo

        Here is a photo of my most valuable ham shack accessory...

        http://tinyurl.com/bo8tmb6

At the mid conduit, you want to put a spacer under it to
raise the middle, before closing the trench, such that its center is
slightly higher than either end, so that condensation will flow to the
ends.  The ends should be weather resistant by putting on an elbow and a
riser piece, and create by other elbows, a J type exit, with the "J"
upside down.  The coax then exits facing the ground on each end.  If you
don't glue the J parts, you can take off the elbows to swab out
condensation that may collect at the bottom of the conduit.

        All very good considerations.  We decided to eschew such
        precautions in favor of a quick and easy installation
        and figured it would only need to last a few years,
        before I did something else.   If I have to replace it
        in a couple of years, it will be easy enough to do for
        such a short run.   Maybe then I will pay more attention
        to a permanent installation as you describe.  That is
        surely the right way to go.

The Wireman sells or did, some direct burial coax, and it is identified
as such; but I still prefer to protect the coax.  Soil is dynamic, and
rocks rise to the surface or move about, such that one might abrade and
cut the jacket of direct buried coax.

        Quite right, but there better not be any big
        rocks bubbling to the surface in MY yard...!
        The developer spent good money on clearing, grading
        and dumping clean top soil before doing the lawn.

        Nevertheless, your point is well taken!     ;-)

For safety, be sure and ground the coax shield to a ground rod before
the coax enters through your wall.  That is a good spot to install a
coaxial surge arrestor as well, with short conductor without sharp
turns, direct to the rod clamp  Rods should be driven nearly into the
ground, leaving just enough for the clamp to be higher than rain water
accumulates.

        DONE!   I have just such a device on the input patch
        cable that runs between the remote coax switch and the
        house - attached to four 8 foot ground stakes I located
        within ten feet of the shack feed-through point.  I used
        full sized ground rods, and appropriate clamps as reviewed
        by the electrician I hired to run two extra AC lines to the
        shack when I purchased and remodeled the home.

../