Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:04:04 -0700
On 4/26/2013 10:36 AM, GARY HUBER wrote:
Great discussion site. Note this piece applies to ALL aluminum foil and copper braid construction shielded coaxial cables not just LMR-400.

It's also important to realize that loss in coax below about 500 MHz is due ONLY to copper losses (I squaredR). The only effect of the dielectric is to allow a larger diameter center conductor for a given shield diameter (unless, of course, the dielectric contains water).

Several years ago, I put together a tutorial on coax for use on the HF bands in the form of a Q&A. It includes considerable discussion of fundamental concepts, a table listing various good coax cables with their loss characteristics, and lots of other useful information.

http://k9yc.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf

73, Jim K9YC