Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 03:06:15 -0400

On 4/4/2012 2:16 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:

> I much prefer the telescoping fiberglass pole method.  They go up and down
> in less than one minute.  You can have a full size 40m vertical (33')
> without even having to guy it (if it is only temporary).  Just have separate
> quarter wave wires for each band you want to operate.

                I think I agree with Rick on this point.   You could make
                a simple vertical on one of those really light weight
                and very flexible Spiderbeam type fiberglass poles,
                supported by a simple base at the foot,  and then roll
                out some radials - as many as you can manage - depending
                on your threshold for screwing around, but maybe 8
                would be a good start - I would use like 16-20 even if they
                were only 20 feet long, each.    More shorter, is better
                and fewer longer.   But we each have a different threshold
                for this sort of thing.   But it would be a full quarter wave
                vertical, and work swell.   You could shorten it for any
                higher band and use the same simple ground plane radials.

> NOW for low bands, Phil has put forth some outstanding suggestions for
> matching 43' verticals on 80 and 160. His suggestions here are some of the
> best I've ever seen.

                While this is true, my correspondence with Phil over
                the last couple of years leads me to think his matching
                units are fairly substantial and bulky, not to mention
                complex and expensive... probably not exactly suited
                to quickie deployment for QRP in the field.    Perhaps
                you have seen something I have not... I am thinking of
                the devices he shows on his web pages and in the articles
                he published in QST last year or so.

> FINALLY, I started out in the early 1970's using home-brew mobile whips with
> coils in the middle.  Once I switched to the long fishing poles (now days,
> there are much better purpose-made poles for ham radio), I never looked
> back.  There is a huge difference.
>
> The old adage, make your wire higher and longer is still true (in general).

                I think you could easily deploy one of the Spiderbeam type
                fiberglass poles to make 1/4 wave verticals easily and
                cheaply - with good results.   I suspect they yield to the
                wind before breaking, and snap back to straight with no
                issues.   A very simple base could be made - even if lashed
                to a pipe or rod pounded into the ground a foot or so.   Maybe
                even stand in most winds without guys ropes.

                I have used cheaper, less well made poles called Jackite poles
                before, with excellent results (they are not as long or as
durable
                I don't think) but they are easy to hold up from the base, and
                they sway in the wind without issue or support.  A better pole
                which did not weigh substantially more would be ideal.

                Heck... on 20 meters, I could easily set up a pair of them, or
                one long one, on a push up mast, and make a quick-build
                horizontal dipole that would be full sized, and which should
                out perform any sort of Hamstick,  BuddyPole, or other high Q
                but shortened antenna.   My experiments with this show such
                antennas work well at relatively low or modest heights  and
                have way wider usable bandwidth than a high Q shortened
                dipole design, such as the Hamstick or BuddyPole, etc.

                I still favor the notion of a push up mast with simple two
                wire dipoles - each acting as a guy support - terminating
                at the far ends with an insulator, and rope to a ground stake
                like a large, long tent stake, giving you two bands in an
                Inverted V arrangement.   Cheap, quick, light weight,
                easy to deploy,         and  RESONANT.    Similarly the
advantage of
                the quarter wave vertical is that it is inherently resonant,
                without a coupler- matchbox-tuner-transmatch, whatever
                we call it, and even without adding a big coil inductor or

                Even on 80 meters,  I would prefer a large vertical wire,
                with a loading coil - inductor, over a simple ground plane
                over something like a screwdriver, or similar, high Q, but
                extremely narrow bandwidth, radiator.

Just MY take.