Re: [TenTec] Sweep on OII

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sweep on OII
From: Kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:18:48 EST
If you tune real slow the sweep seems to keep updating OK. If you tune even
moderately fast it stops updating the screen.

It is a pretty good sweep, very functional, but it stops.

Knowing something about microcode & interrupts used in event driven systems,
I'm sure they did it so the CPU has plenty of time to keep up with tuning
(actually it may be that any other function, not just sweep, puts the sweep on
the
back burner as to be sure all functions work) but since it is for a short
time the user never notices it. I think what may be going on is that in the
scheme of things the sweep is LOWEST priority in the code.

Not necessarily a bad thing as other functions are more important.

I guess IMHO that if that approach really is necessary to make the radio work
right? Then if TT makes a 'sweep HW feature' available at a very reasonable
cost to us, so be it. Maybe it is the best approach, especially if the sweep
feature is superb (resolution, speed options etc).

Anyone looking at purchasing an Orion, just do it, it is truly a superb
radio.

73,
Lee, KC9CDT