Omni-6 Microprocessor needs work

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Omni-6 Microprocessor needs work
From: km9p@akorn.net (Bill Fisher, KM9P)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 22:17:31 -0500 (EST)
Just done with the WPX SSB and I write this with little sleep, so bare with
me...  Want to write this while it's fresh in my mind.  I'm sure there
aren't many Omni-6 owners who are SSB contest ops.  So maybe this will fall
on deaf ears.

Annoying problem #1:  When CT programs the the Omni-6 for split, it will
occasionally program the current VFO for the split frequency and not the
alternate VFO.  So, you just find a juicy multiplier... type in the split
frequency... and BOOM...  you are now on the DX's listening frequency.
UGHHHH!!!!  What frequency was that he was on again?  Some times when this
happens the VFO will show say 7250, but you are still listening to the DX
station that was on 7050.  I can't be the only one who has seen this can I?
I don't believe it's CT, since all CT does is emulate the IC-735.

Annoying problem #2:  Probably my mic wiring and maybe someone can lend
advice.  I have a switch that controls my mic line between my Icom and
Omni-6.  The mic ground on an Icom is different from the chassis ground.
Probably for good reason.  The Omni does not have a seperate mic ground.
When switching between the two radios, the VOX would be involked on both
radios.  This never happens when I use this same switch on two Icom radios.
I had this same problem before with the Icom radios when I did not isolate
the mic grounds between the two radios.

I did like the Auto-notch.  Very usefull.  Now if they could make
passband/if shift work like better on SSB.

73

Bill, KM9P

| Contesting Online... The ultimate           |
| source of ham radio contest information     |
| http://www.contesting.com                   |