Re: [RFI] Sources of wideband hiss

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Sources of wideband hiss
From: Gary NA6O via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 17:08:14 -0800
At the W6TCP hilltop EME site, this exact problem occurs on 2m and also on 220
MHz whenever the array is level and pointed towards one of the nearby towns.
There is NO character or modulation detectible, just a broadband increase in
the noise floor. It was bad enough on 220 to cause serious problems. The
solution there actually surprised me. He upgraded the LNA from a P220VDG (from
DB6NT) with a fairly broad LC bandpass filter to one from WD5AGO with a much
sharper cavity bandpass. That change alone was worth almost 20 dB in noise
reduction! All I can figure is that there must be a great many VHF transmitters
out there and with our high antenna gain, some kind of complex intermod was
occurring but I really don't know. So I will always cast some suspicion towards
out-of-band sources, in addition to the usual buzzing switchmode converters.

-Gary NA6O