Re: [RFI] Starlink as unintentional radiators...

To: James Jordan <k4qpl2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Starlink as unintentional radiators...
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:12:43 +0000
QUOTE:  If polluters can be verified, call them out. “What about….” never
solves anything.
Other than the cool light show when the Starlink train goes by, I know
nothing but because it’s visible, verification or lack thereof should be
doable.

As an EMC engineer for the last 30 or so years and still consult in the
field, I can assure you we, collectively, have called out many illegal
radiators, intentional and unintentional, to FCC to no avail.  Reports
filed with FCC from Chinese products can be a complete joke and filed from
products totally unassociated with the intended product (I've read FAR too
many of these).  My assumption is that the FCC doesn't even read them even
though filing is required.

Take the whole Solar Power industry.  FCC, through ARRL (yes, on the backs
of us who pay dues to ARRL), has been working with SolarEdge for at least a
half decade, if not a decade.  Solar edge STILL happily sells and installs
their RFI-prone products.  Then there are the EVs.  The RFI is so bad due
to their electrical management system that the whole industry is
considering or has eliminated AM radios from their vehicles.  And try all
the wall warts from China that sail through customs as a "component" - yes,
EXEMPT from RFI/EMC.  And yet another: wireless charging in private garages
and along the interstates.  This hasn't yet hit the US, but is being tried
in the EU and proposed in the US.  Sure, it operates 10's of kWs at 100's
of kHz, but have a look at the harmonic radiation.  When on starts with
10's to 100's of kWs, even -60 dB down from the fundamental is a lot of
power!  It's ugly!  Not to mention the "monster" satellites (planar antenna
array is huge) purportedly offering direct to smartphones from LEO - no
more cell towers.  Visually, they are nearly as bright as the brightest
star in the night sky (Sirius?).  And they are full of digital circuitry!
Australia is already using something like them in the 900 MHz band under an
ISM license (similar to the US frequency allocations).

FCC knows all this but does nothing.  "Calling them out" and identification
has already occurred in many cases, . . . . . . TO NO AVAIL.

Satellites in LEO to geosync (GPS operates at half-geosync) are yet another
problem waiting to be discovered by the masses.  Trouble is, light
pollution is highly visible.  RFI is not visible to the average Joe on the
street, so it's ignored.  BUT,.......FCC is totally aware and does nothing.

If you desire more information regarding some of my personal experiences as
an RFI/EMC engineer, have a read of my QRZ page - WØLEV.

Dave - WØLEV

--

*Dave - WØLEV*