Re: [RFI] Ethernet noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ethernet noise
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 04:41:07 -0700
On 9/23/2023 9:20 AM, nlsa@nlsa.com wrote:
I have several dB of broadband RFI in my 2m EME system.  I suspect that some
of it results from ethernet cabling.  The station has about a dozen modules
(SDR, transverter, SSPA, etc.) that are all connected to a central Ethernet
switch.  I have used STP or S/FTP cables throughout but I am confused about
how these cables should be grounded.  Should I defeat the shield ground by
taping the outside of the connectors at one end?  If so, should it be at the
Ethernet switch or the distal ends at each module?

They should not be "grounded," but the shields MUST be terminated to the shell of the connectors on PROPERLY manufactured switches. That means that everything about the equipment is properly manufactured. Properly manufactured means that the shells of those connectors must be bonded to the shielding enclosure at the point of entry, and that all conductors leaving the enclosure must be properly terminated, and conductors that are not shielded must exit via a feedthrough cap. I don't know anything about the quality of currently manufactured equipment, but my gut tells me it ain't the cheap stuff, and even expensive ain't guaranteed to be right.