Re: [RFI] medical lab RFI

To: David Hale <astronomerdave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] medical lab RFI
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:08:56 -0400
David Hale <astronomerdave@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a friend who has a fancy medical lab in his building and they’re
> worried that some of their equipment is being affected by RFI from a cell
> phone antenna that has recently been installed.

1) RFI usually has the connotation that "something else is creating RF
that it shouldn't and it is interfering with my (sensitive) receiver".
There is also "something is transmitting within its allowed power and
frequency but that is causing my equipment to malfunction".  Often one
might use the term EMC for electromagnetic compatibility.  Impossible to
know with no data, but I would wildly guess that if anything actually is
going on, it's equipment that is more susceptible than it ought to be.
Certainly that is totally without basis, and don't prune anything from
the search space -- but don't assume that the problem is that the cell
equipment is misbehaving, or even that there really is a problem.  I'm
not claiming there is nothing wrong -- that would be crazy on my part.
Just that this is all complicated and every belief needs to be based on
evidence.

2) I would suggest asking the manufacturers of the equipment they are
worried about for technical documentation of the EMC testing they did,
particularly with cell-type frequencies.

3) They might call the phone company and get their transmitter
documentation.  Probably they have to file this someplace, likely FCC.
And the date/time on which they began transmitting.  The number of times
ham get complaints after putting up an antenna and waiting for a month
before transmitting is legendary.

73 de n1dam