Re: [RFI] Netgear GS724T switch

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Netgear GS724T switch
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 01:55:01 -0700
On 6/21/2023 5:08 PM, nlsa@nlsa.com wrote:

More thoughts on this. Many years ago, Henry Ott reminded me that trash can be radiated radiated by gear at both ends of every digital connection, including Ethernet. That is, for most interconnects, both ends of the circuit are transmitting. So all of the treatments applied to the Switch are applicable to that gear.

Another thought -- have you choked YOUR gear? Have you studied shield bonding in all of it? The last time I was at a ham expo (Visalia, 2019), EVERY piece of equipment on display had Pin One Problems at EVERY entry of cables other than the main RF I/O, so every control cable, audio cable, was a source for RF in and out of the box. (A "Pin One Problem," first understood in the world of pro audio, is the failure to bond cable shields to the shielding enclosure at the point of entry.)

Here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, I use WiFi to get around. I started using that instead of wired Ethernet when I still lived in Chicago when I discovered that the CAT5 was radiating trash that wiped out more distant repeaters. The talkie probe showed me that it was ON those cables. Twisted pair is great at minimizing that, but at some frequency, the twist ratio is too low for the shorter wavelengths of VHF.