Re: [RFI] Choosing a POE in a RF-rich environment

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Choosing a POE in a RF-rich environment
From: David Colburn <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 19:41:23 -0400
OK, cool, will put that in the mix. Thanks!

On 5/21/23 2:39 AM, Dale wrote:
Grant,

I am not surprised at all by the results you saw with shielded Ethernet cable.
I have at least 2 reasons for saying that.

I spent about 10 years in mil-aerospace, mostly trying to meet the EMC
requirements of MIL-STD-462F.  Some of the most difficult fixes in equipment
and cabling design came from digital interfaces.  Ethernet was the pits when
trying to use industry standard plastic connectors.  To substantially reduce
emissions from such cabling, shielded cables are required AND the shields must
be properly terminated such that lead length of the shield termination is less
than 1/4 wavelength at the highest frequency of interest.  That requires a
metal shell connector that connects to a shielded metal shell connector on the
chassis.  The impedance of the total path from cable shield to chassis must be
as short and low as possible.

Second, I am the former Chair of the IEEE Working Group that revised IEEE-STD-299 back in
the mid 1990s.  That document was tagged by the DoD to replace MIL-STD-285, which was the
method of measuring shielding effectiveness of RF shielded enclosures.  In the course of
doing in-situ experimental measurements in actual shielded enclosures and chambers, we
learned that coax cables that had low levels of RF leakage from their shields and/or
connectors would produce varying levels of RF around the enclosure.  Those levels would
vary with frequency and distance between the "leaky" cables and the enclosure
walls or floor.

So, you are correct - use fiber optics.  Otherwise, get rid of plastic
connectors and go with mil-grade metal ones.

73, Dale
WA9ENA
Retired EMC engineer, IEEE Life Member