Re: Topband: [RFI] Powerline noise question

To: Frank W3LPL <donovanf@starpower.net>, rfi <rfi@contesting.com>, PVRC <pvrc@mailman.qth.net>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [RFI] Powerline noise question
From: David Raymond <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 23:01:04 -0600
Frank. . . about a year or so ago I had a nasty RFI problem on TB present when I was looking toward Europe.  It only appeared from November through March (prime TB season) and was about S7 on the transmit array.  I had struggled trying to get it isolated.  My local power company was very cooperative and willing to help (which they did) but did not have much technical capability needed to isolate the problem.  After living with it for a whole season I ordered the WD8DSB portable flag kit from DX Engineering after seeing the QST article below and talking with Don/WD8DSB.  Upon Don's advice I also picked up a Radio Shack DX-440 portable receiver off of EBay.  The flag and DX-440 make a dynamite combination (the receiver is remarkably good for something that was not too expensive to begin with).  After searching for the interference source for over a year, within a couple days of completing construction of the loop I had my problem isolated to a Chinese manufactured float charger on a motorcycle battery about 0.75 miles away (motorcycle being stored during off season).  The charger was transmitting the interference back through the service panel, the transformer and out onto the single phase distribution line which was radiating like crazy.  I can highly recommend the WD8DXB flag kit from DX Engineering or build one yourself.  Put a good sensitive receiver with it like the Realistic DX-440 and you'll have a very effective portable (on foot) way of DFing interference.

73 and Happy New Year to all. . . Dave, W0FLS